I’m the queen of crappy pics lately but I wanted to post this project for the record. I made my sister some roman blinds at the beginning of the year. This was actually a long-ago Christmas gift IOU. I was a bit intimidated by the process and didn’t really like the original fabric I had chosen.
Over winter break, I finally decided the time had come to finish this project. Part of the motivation came from the fact that I have been trying to weed out my stash of stuff, including all my unused craft supplies. I had all the pieces for this project — dowels, wood slat, rings, string — and needed to clear it out of my craft closet. I finally found fabric I *love* by looking at shower curtains at TJ Maxx! This was a Cynthia Rowley cloth shower curtain that I cut in half lengthwise to make two blinds. The great thing about using a shower curtain was that the bottom and one of the sides were already hemmed, and I didn’t have to worry about lining up the design perfectly since it was already taken care of. I wish I had better pictures because I really love how these turned out. They look beautiful against the dark wood window frames and give the whole room a cleaner look.
I used Martha’s tutorial as inspiration but sewed my dowel pockets from the lining itself (pic one, above). And I did everything by machine. This worked out fine since I used white thread and the front fabric pattern hides the stitches well enough, but if I had used plain fabric, it would have looked sort of messy.